acous•tic blue•print•ing: The process of refining an instrument for most
efficient operation with minimal noise, sweetest tone, and most open feel.
fill out PDF
For violin family instruments, including fiddles, our work usually gives distinctly
more even and crisp response, a more open and sweet general sound, better
balance, greater brilliance, and a bit more projection. Much of this comes from
simply reducing noise.
My approach was initially derived from the work on violins by Deena Spears.
Since then I’ve blended in techniques from various workers including Jack Fry,
Evan Smith, and others. Violins are so small that very tiny amounts of scraping
can have a significant effect. The general steps are:
1. Get the setup straight.
2. Set the B0 bending moment and neck resonance.
3. Go through the ribs, linings, blocks, bass bar, and plates to get them working
4. Go through the tailpiece and bridge, making preliminary adjustments.
5. String and play, evaluating tone, balance, and response.
6. Make a series of standard (e.g., post) and less so adjustments to get the
tone, balance, and brilliance where desired.
7. Refine the original adjustments, and make final F hole and bar adjustments
More detailed description of the process
Complete blueprinting: $195 plus any setup and repair costs
Basic blueprinting: $95 plus any setup and repair costs
* B0 adjustment
* Tailpiece check and minor adjustment, new tailpiece extra if required
* Bridge recut if required
* Soundpost check, recut or replace extra
* Bass bar adjustment
* One pass top and back sequencing
* Tone and brilliance adjustment via Fry method
To get this work done, please contact us for current turnaround time and fill out .
pdf to send with your instrument. Payment due when work complete and prior to
New and vintage violins available through giannaviolins.com Or call! New
instruments ordered in and gone through, some with custom color and antiquing.
Vintage and new instruments in stock.
For repairs, please inquire. We are generally about average on repair prices.
gianna, inc. – friendsville, tennessee, usa – skype stephen.perry.esq – email@example.com – 865-995-9546